Wednesday, March 28

The week is half over. Where did it go? Not that I'm complaining mind you, I want the week to be over. The youngest has been off to the soon-to-be in-laws house, since Sunday. Something about being able to ride a horse. I never did tell her the story of my horse riding. It was June of 1988, I know because it the accident happened right after the Eldest was born. I was visiting my parents who lived in Pollock, Idaho. It's a remote location, about 30 miles from McCall, Idaho*. In the middle of the trip, is a fun little canyon called Goose Creek. A windy little two lane road - back when I was a teenager - I had no problem hitting it at 50 MPH. Now that I'm older, well honestly I still take it a bit fast - not that I've been up there in a while. Anyway in 1988, I'm visiting the parents. Dad has the horse saddled, and I agree to take a ride. Next thing I remember, I'm waking up someplace in the middle of Goose Creek Canyon in an ambulance. I don't remember anything except starting the horse ride and waking up in the hospital. Six stitches later and one nasty concussion, I was back at the parent's house being woken up every couple of hours to make sure I would wake up.

Years later, Dad told me, he was so very frightened to see the horse come back without it's rider. It took them a couple of minutes to even find me. He said, the girth of the saddle came loose, allowing the saddle to start sliding off. One side was all scuffed up, so I must have taken the horse with me when I went down. Don't know, to this day 20 years later, I can't remember. I'm told it's normal for memory loss to happen with head injuries. I have a nice scar on the left side of my head, buried deep in my hair, a keepsake of my horse ride. I haven't been on a horse since. The parents got rid of the horse not long afterwards and I don't know of anyone who has one. I seriously hope the Youngest has better luck with horses then I did.

Yeah, I'm a dumb ass. Ran the report for the wrong date, 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back. I can't even knit, while waiting for the report to run. The second Bookwyrm as been started, completed the ribbing, started the pattern. I hope this sock won't seem to drag on. (Dragon, HA! I slay me.)

I can feel the impatience welling up. I just want to scream at the stupid database, hurry the up! The sad part is it's carrying over into other areas. Traffic, as Ms. Knitingale said, only we know how to drive. It doesn't help that here in the Metropolis, construction season has started. it seems every major road close to where I work is under construction. In the morning it's not so bad because there are only a handful of cars, but going home? It's busy as hell.

* If you put the zoom to half way, you can see where Pollock is on the map. McCall is the closest location with a hospital. Isn't that scary?

No comments: