Happy B-Day Eldest

WOW! My new computer came in on Monday. Grilltech spent several frustrating hours trying to get XP to load on the system. Only to find out XP will never load on the system. Something about the harddrive won't work with XP. I didn't ask for clarification. Tuesday, after Vista was reloaded on the system, I spent a couple of minutes playing - er setting up - and trying to get used to the new look. While I was at work yesterday, he loaded Civ 4 onto the new system. I came home, ate dinner, and by 1630, I was playing Civ. I was in heaven. Do you know elephants, sheep, deer and the rest of the animals move? I didn't. On my old system, I would play on a tiny world and eight hours later I would be waiting long periods of "prime knitting" time. Or the game with would freeze and I would reboot with many sighs. But last night? I played a whole game in four hours, with eight - EIGHT! - different civs on a - get this - large world. Did I get any knitting done? NO!! I've finally saw the opening credits as well, very pretty. Did I do much other then play? I did get my mail set up and my post completed. So, yes it was a good night. I still have more to do, but I can hear Civ calling me. It's lure is stronger then the bed monster. Do I love my new system? Heck yeah! 21 inch wide screen monitor sure makes things pretty and sharp. On the down side, it will cut into my turn based knitting.

Am I still Princess Abbey? Yes. Using what little self control I have not to scream at my co-workers. IM's fly across the screen, I sigh instead of screaming, and read what they say. It might be important after all, might have to cancel all the overtime I just put in. No, I'm not bitter.

Today 20 years ago, my eldest daughter was born. Tomorrow we're having homemade Philly Cheese Steak sandwhiches. Hmmm

6 comments:

Lovs2Knit said...

All is well in the world when you get a new computer.

Heather said...

Your eldest was born on my 18th birthday. But it was mine FIRST! tell the big one Happy Birthday for me, We share a great day!

Carrie Penny said...

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun! Rock on!

I wish my mother made me dinner for my 20th birthday... Actually, I wish anyone had made me dinner for my 20th, I threw a dinner party for myself that year... Ah, silly college kids...

Amy Lane said...

Enjoy...my husband's a big WOW player...every time we get a new upgrade, I have to come look and see what new outfits his character has and how great the dino-turkey looks...technology CAN be cool:-)

Mr. Shife said...

Happy birthday to your daughter. And congrats on the new system. Those darn computer simulation games are very addicting. Be careful.

GrillTech said...

[Carrie Penny said...
Sounds like you are having a lot of fun! Rock on!

I wish my mother made me dinner for my 20th birthday... Actually, I wish anyone had made me dinner for my 20th, I threw a dinner party for myself that year... Ah, silly college kids... ]


The really interesting thing is that this is the daughter that couldn't wait to move out of the hosue. She was ready at 16 and a half to escape (yes we at the tech household are really evil parents).

She also refused to eat many things we cooked (worst food in the world). Now when asked what she wanted for a birthday dinner (we assumed it would be a restaurant) she asked for homemade bbq'd philly cheesesteak sandwiches.

She also likes to come over for bbq'd chicken and salmon when we have them. Strangely these were 2 of the evil things we cooked when she lived with us.

We've also been told "Coming over here for dinner is going out to eat for us" by her.

Its strange how things change as we get older.