Grilltech's birthday socks. (We won't discuss how it's still only four inches long and a single.)
The body to my mallard sweater. Only three more inches to go, before I start the sleeves.
Dishcloths. The square ones are the same pattern as the green round one. Pretty nifty, huh?
And saving the best for last... Happy 18th anniversary to Grilltech. My sun. My moon. My starlit sky.
(Short story going nowhere. Its buggy and a rough draft; but it's mine.)
Devin had expected the best healer in the realm to live in something better then a hut. He went to knock on the door, only to realize it was nothing more then a blanket. At the throaty growl Devin spun, automatically drawing his long knife.
Several feet away a large dusty cat looked ready to pounce on him. Behind it, stood a young woman holding a bundle of wood. "Dancer, be nice to our guest." The cat immediately ceased growling but continued to glare at Devin.
"I bid you welcome." The girl said, dropping the wood close to the fire pit.
"I greet you." Devin replied, putting his knife away. Then he cut straight to the point, "I'm looking for Master Elis."
She shot him an amused look, then begun to make a fire. "I'm sure Healer Elis, will be along soon. Would you like some tea?"
Devin nodded, he'd have to wait but he didn't like it. He studied the girl while the water boiled. She wasn't tall. Her hair was dark and pulled back into a braid. It didn't take long, before the cat started growling at him.
"Dancer." The cat blinked then put it's massive head on it's paws as if to nap. But Devin could still it's eyes on him.
Soon the tea was ready and she brought him a cup. "There is more if you need it." Devin frowned; but returned to his troubled thoughts.
The girl sat and begun braiding herbs. Devin watched as the piles grew. Some went onto a drying rack. She worked quickly.
"Healer Elis isn't coming is he?" Devin asked after several hours.
She looked at him. "No, he isn't coming. She is already here."
"Why didn't you tell me?" He snarled getting to his feet. The low growl caused him to pause.
"The King has many healers at his beck and call, why would he need me?" She looked up at him serenely. "Besides, by his decree none may leave this place."
Devin stared at her. She knew and let him sit. "Why?"
"Never give up the upper hand in negotiations." Her voice was cold and hard. "You expected a man."
Of course who am I to talk? I spent the time in the pool thinking I had my knickers on in-side out. Note, I said thinking; they were on correctly when I went to change. Yeah me!! I guess there are days I'm not such a dumbass, I only think I am.
I've forgotten how badly a cow-orker annoys me. I haven't had to work with him for several months. Now I'm having to get back into the habit of being polite. (Stop laughing, it can happen.)
You know, no matter how bad I want it, looking for something in the wrong place won't make it show up.
- Number of cars at the bar this morning: 8
- Number of e-mails received after an e-mail was sent out this morning: 2
- Number of times I responded with please see your supervisor: 2
- Number of times I wanted to add dumbass at the end of my comment: 14 gazillion
- I'm trying to remember to work on my posture
- Number of times I've had to remember to sit up: 14 gazillion
- Number of people sent home today to change clothes: 5
- I'll turn the moon into something I a "Death Star"
- I did break down and have a regular Pepsi today
- I did remember to bring my lip balm today, because yesterday I had forgotten it
- I didn't swear once at the supervisor who was whining schedules weren't correct
- I've almost completed the heel on my sock
- I haven't worked on my sweater for several days now
- I have 2.5 washcloths completed
- Number of people who have bummed into the cube corner: 5
- Number of times I left pants unzipped at work today: 1
- I'm such a dumbass
And now for something completely different: (thanks Red)
You are The Star
Hope, expectation, Bright promises.
The Star is one of the great cards of faith, dreams realised
The Star is a card that looks to the future. It does not predict any immediate or powerful change, but it does predict hope and healing. This card suggests clarity of vision, spiritual insight. And, most importantly, that unexpected help will be coming, with water to quench your thirst, with a guiding light to the future. They might say you're a dreamer, but you're not the only one.
What Tarot Card are You?
Take the Test to Find Out.
They kept throwing names around Niebling and Duchrow. I didn’t know who the in the hell they were. I’d look blankly at them and smile. Seriously, what else could I do?
I did learn I could knit a doily. What good is a doily? Oh yea, placemats. Looking pretty isn’t enough. Altho, Grilltech does say his grandmother used to knit doilies all the time. And I want to take a minute to point out doilies are knit on thread SMALLER. THAN. SOCK. YARN. At one point in time, a sample was held up Yeah, this was made on 100 weight thread. WTF?! Is it considered yarn if it’s used to sew garments?
The classes were really informative. One of the classes was on short row dishcloths. There is a way to change them from round to square. Way nifty.
Another class was on doily construction. I learned a circular cast on, which is sturdy and quick. I knit my first doily in class. I haven’t blocked it yet.
Japanese knitting is slightly different then everyone else's. Even the most complex stitches are considered basic. Patterns come in one size and the knitter is expected to resize the garment to fit them. However, every stitch symbol is set in stone. No bizarre symbol for the SSK, or YO's depending on the designers whim.
Will I go back next year? Most likely not.
I do have a post in the works about lace camp. It was fun. I did learn quite a bit. I hated sleeping away from home. The cats didn't like the fact I wasn't home either. Grilltech said he missed me and didn't sleep. I was supposed to stay until Thursday night, but I didn't. I ended up staying at home from Wednesday night on. I did go back for classes.
I didn't gain or loose any weight while at camp; so that makes it a win for the week. While I wasn't as diligent as I could have been. Maybe it was the chocolate cake? I did go to the gym everyday. (Okay, I did miss one day.) The person I share my seat with has left a piece of candy on the desk right in my line of sight. I may have to put it in the drawer because it's taunting me. It's been put away, so I can't hear it anymore. The new pants now fit. They are a bit tight. I'll need a couple of days to adjust to tighter clothes again.
- It was chilly enough this morning, I turned the heater on in the car.
- Number of cars at the bar: 15!!
- My wedding ring is loose it rotates on my finger, making it hard to type.
- The guy next to me is counting down how many hours he has to go before he's out of here for the weekend. Then he comments he's got a four day weekend.
- I return fire by stating I've got a 10 day weekend.
- My boss sent out an e-mail stating no surfing the web on the job. Can do it on breaks at the kiosks. I wonder if the same thing applies to supervisors.
- It's cold in here, even with my jacket over my lap.
- I picked up Lilith last night.
- I ate 3 ounces of candied almonds. Never mind the bitter almond taste.
- I'm working late today, stupid other department meeting which starts at 1330 (1:30 PM).
- The vending machine has my second favorite fruit pie: cherry in it. So far, I'm managed to resist.
- I went and knitted with C last night, it was fun. Worked on the sweater.
- I'm trying to decide how I'm going to do the sleeves. ML both at once or DPNS one at a time.
- Is it 18 inches yet?
- It's amazing how fast vacation requests pile up after two days.
- I'll keep vacation requests; because she's busy doing other things.
- I should be rushing out the door; but I have to stay late.
- I think I have enough done on Grilltech's socks I can get a picture posted.
- Back from the gym, I have a new routine.
- I still think the Trainer is evil.
- Grilltech says, I'm not sore then he moves and groans.
- When we got home, it was 58 degrees in the house. I think it's warmer out side.
- The heat was turned on.
- One more day of work, then I'm packing for lace camp!
- I'm going to go eat dinner, then crawl into a nice warm bed.
- And no, I never did get the cherry pie.
I've finished the heel flap of my sock today. Hope to have the heel turned by the end of the day, but one never knows. I worked a couple of rounds on the sweater last night. (I'd show you a picture, but it looks the same as the last time it was pictured, only a couple of inches longer.) I keep holding it up to see if it's long enough to be measured yet. It's not, but I am on the down side of the third skein of yarn. Might get into the middle of the fifth before it's measurable. I'm estimating it's about 12 inches long, I don't to know until 18 or so.
Yesterday I did a different routine at the gym. Today, I my legs are sore and my knees are stiff, but I'm not sure if it's because of the workout or the cold. Wednesday's is pool day! I'm so looking forward to it. Thursday, we're going to see the Trainer.
I missed the presidential debates last night. I think going to bed at 1830 (6:30 PM) had something to do with it, but I'm not sure. Several of my co-workers who did watch it said, the candidates basically said the same thing - worded differently - and refused to give details. I think part of the no details refers back to the read my lips fiasco.
When I got home in the mail was the new KnitPicks catalog. They have some really nifty stuff. I left it open and pointed out to Grilltech a lovely gift idea.
I stayed up late finishing my book today I'm tired, crabby, and PSMing. It's going to be a fun, fun day. Anyway, I noticed last night the second book of the series had the same title as the first book. How odd. Picked up the book, read the back cover. Word for word as the back of the one I finished. Crap! I grabbed a reprint of the book with a different cover, instead of book two. I can be such a dumbass at times. On the plus side I can go back to the bookstore and trade for the correct book.
We had great times together, and I will always treasure them. Remember when I misread the chart? Or when I got off by a row? Or the time I had to restart the shawl, twice? Good times. But let’s be honest, do you really enjoy sitting on the desk, feeling left out while I dally around with other projects? The bag. The many socks. The sweater. You never said anything, but I could feel your longing to be the one worked on instead of them.
I can’t go on pretending anymore. I can’t stand the fact, that somewhere along the line, I misread the chart. I tired to forget about it. I really did. I would pick up and work a row; but the magic was gone. So I’d leave you on the desk, avoiding you. Because deep in my heart I knew what needed to happen, but wasn’t ready to admit. Then the Yarn Harlot had to go and show off what you could be. Once I saw hers, I knew there was no putting it off any longer.
It’s never easy saying goodbye. (Or in this case, ripping out 95 rows.) But I think it will be for the best. You are beautiful. No one can deny that. We’ll try again very soon; because – damn it – I want to have this shawl!!
- No, the sock didn't get finished last night. But I did get to the point I can start the toe.
- I started the toe at break today.
- I saw one of my co-workers going to the gym last night, we were driving out as he was driving in.
- Grilltech met with the trainer. She doesn't seem evil was his comment.
- I wonder what he'll say after today's appointment.
- Last night, I was dreaming about soul sucking ghosts.
- I'm doing very well at not letting the smart assed remarks out of my head.
- On the morning manager's call, a cat could be heard begging for breakfast; before the phone was muted.
- I've talked Grilltech into letting me get a sewing machine so I can steek.
- I need to find some of my exercises on uTube to make sure I'm doing them right. Or I can wait to see the trainer on Monday.
- Last night, Perky decided to give Fran a bath.
- IT. WAS. NOT. APPRECIATED.
- It was however, very funny.
- I bought a pair of pants last night. ONE SIZE SMALLER. w00t!!
- Less than three hours to go in my day (at work).
- I'm still able to keep the smart assed remarks to myself, but it is getting harder.
- Why yes, I am arrogant.
- My PDA, which functions as my MP3 player, is low on batteries. I'm having to rely on a burnt CD for tunes. Its already repeating songs, which makes me crazy.
- It should start raining any minute.
- It's not a good idea to tell the lackey typing I hate them. I hate them, with the passion of a fiery sun. He will start typing it before realizing he shouldn't.
- It's easy to misread let's get some cross training going to lets get some cross dressing going.
- Yeah, I'm pleasant to be around today.
- I was over at Grilltech's desk today, and was snagged by his team lead to answer report questions.
- They like it when I hang out over there; at least the managers do easy access to information.
- Grilltech says he enjoys my company, but there are times I'm not so sure.
- I know he doesn't like it when I'm counting down the minutes before we can leave.
- There was a drug bust happening out side the gym when we left today, with five billion men in blue.
- Perky had a OMG moment on the drive home, when an officer pulled in behind her with lights flashing and sirens.
- Turns out he was heading to the bust as well.
- Things not to tell co-workers when they say, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. Why I might like it!
- Perky needs to go to the store, so the list is done.
Lace camp is a little more then a week away. I'm having thoughts of what should I take and OMG it's almost time for lace camp!! I know, I know.... crazy!
I'm trying to figure what I'm going to make for Christmas this year. I'm thinking I'll make D a pair of buffalo socks; because she's been wanting a pair. G would like a pair of socks. I'll need to figure out the pattern for those. Plus, I have two birthdays in October I need to worry about. I think I need a nap. That's more knitting then I really want to do in such a short notice.
I also need to get my sweater finished. I think it needs to come to camp with me.