What I Did at Lace Camp...

I had a really good time at lace camp. I really did. I learned. Met some really nice people; and learned quite a bit about lace that I had no clue about.

They kept throwing names around Niebling and Duchrow. I didn’t know who the in the hell they were. I’d look blankly at them and smile. Seriously, what else could I do?

I did learn I could knit a doily. What good is a doily? Oh yea, placemats. Looking pretty isn’t enough. Altho, Grilltech does say his grandmother used to knit doilies all the time. And I want to take a minute to point out doilies are knit on thread SMALLER. THAN. SOCK. YARN. At one point in time, a sample was held up Yeah, this was made on 100 weight thread. WTF?! Is it considered yarn if it’s used to sew garments?

The classes were really informative. One of the classes was on short row dishcloths. There is a way to change them from round to square. Way nifty.

Another class was on doily construction. I learned a circular cast on, which is sturdy and quick. I knit my first doily in class. I haven’t blocked it yet.

Japanese knitting is slightly different then everyone else's. Even the most complex stitches are considered basic. Patterns come in one size and the knitter is expected to resize the garment to fit them. However, every stitch symbol is set in stone. No bizarre symbol for the SSK, or YO's depending on the designers whim.

Will I go back next year? Most likely not.

4 comments:

Galad said...

Sounds like you picked up some techniques that might come in handy. I can't imagine knitting with thread that tiny! Maybe next year will be sock camp :-)

emicat said...

although it seems it wasn't quite what you were looking for, I'm glad you came out of it with some new techniques and had some fun!

Carrie Penny said...

Sounds like a blast! I was just thinking about knitted doilys the other day and wondering where to find patterns for them. I can knit smaller than I can crochet (I can't see those tiny little stitches you are supposed to crochet into! Who do they think I am superman?)

Amy Lane said...

Amazing! (I know Neibling from the Samurai's blog--I KNEW reading her blog was good for me:-)