7 Knitterly things about me:

Learning: I tried to learn to knit when I was 13 from a book. Didn't do so well. I remember how I ended up with so many more stitches at the end of the row then when I started. About six or seven years ago I decided I wanted to learn to knit. I picked up a book, needles, and yarn. I did learn, but I was doing it wrong. I was twisting my stitches. So I took a class to ensure I was doing it right. Since then I've been off and knitting.

Method: I'm a continental knitter. I've come over from Crocheting, I was a kid when I learned. When I decided I wanted to knit I figured it would be faster to just pick up the yarn. Go figure. I've learned to knit English (so I can do some Intarsia knitting), not quite as fast, but when working with two colors, AWESOME! English works well when I'm knitting backwards also.

Needles: I use mostly circulars and double points. I'll admit it, when I first started out learning to knit I tried ML. I hated - not a strong enough word for what I felt - the process. It was a purple hat, knit in the round. I tried a few rounds and went back to double points in frustration. Years passed and I kept with my trusty DPs. Nothing compares to the feel of wood. I've also joined a mailing list about sock knitting. There are people who just rave about ML and 2C2 (2 socks on 2 circulars) method. I've progressed enough in my knitting not be afraid to try new things. Currently I'm working on a baby sweater, and finding, it's not much different then using DP. Will I give up my DPs? Most likely not.

Gauge: As Dr. Johnny Fever said: "Gauge?! We don't need no stinkin' gauge!" Or wait was that badges? Anyway, I don't swatch, nor do I know what my gauge is half the time. I do know I get about 13 to 14 SPI on size 1 (US) needles. Can I do gauge? Heck yea: using size 6 needles and getting 6 SPI, I'll need to go 42 rows to get 7 inches. (Wow, I scare myself at times.) Should I do swatches and do the math? I can hear the screams of "YES!" now. I did gauge for Grilltech's sweater, so gauge is good.

Stash: My stash isn't as large as I've read other knitters have gotten. I don't buy any thing unless I have a project in mind. Which doesn't mean I don't enjoy petting yarns. Ohhing and ahhing the silks, cashmeres, and wools, I love the textures, but most of the time can't afford the prices. My stash is contained into three places. Under the TV, next to the TV, and in a cedar chest. In the desk in the weight room.

Projects: I'm a three project person. Small are the portables, I can work on anywhere. socks, mittens, washcloths. Medium are the complex projects. Sweaters, complex scarves and items along those lines. A sock can be both small and complex. Large are the blankets and afghans. Stuff that can't be hauled around.

Places: I knit every chance I get. I knit at home: watching TV, playing computer games, at the movies, in church, and sometimes in the car. I knit at work: in training, while waiting for the hourglass in the database to go away, while on a conference call, and waiting for my husband to get off work. Okay, so I don't knit at work as much, but I would knit more if it wouldn't get me fired.

1 comment:

GrillTech said...

Knitting during free time is an understatement. If KnitTechs hands aren't busy doing somthing else they are busy knitting.