Ramblings

Every June I go to the doctor. (Happy birthday to me.) Every year I hear the same thing: lose weight and exercise more. This year? Same thing plus - ready for this? - you're low on vitamin D. Seriously vitamin D? It comes from the being out in the sun.

Oh wait, that's right, I don't do the sun. I burn so fast and easily that going out into the sun is dangerous. If I wear sun block, it negates the reason for going into the sun in the first place. You should have seen me on the 4th. I stayed in the shade. If I had to walk into the house, I'd slink from shady spot to shady spot. Maybe less than 15-20 minutes of direct sunlight. Yip, slight pinking of the shoulders.

So, I'm taking a prescription - seriously? - strength vitamin D for eight weeks. Any suggestions from you guys to improve my vitamin D in take? Yea, I don't drink milk either. Okay I drink chocolate milk.

In knitting news, it's way too hot to work on the vest. The wool/bamboo/silk blend is sticky. And hot. I'm thinking about bringing it to work because it's way cooler here and it is a simple knit. I'll need to think about it.

I picked up new shoes. I'm now able to sneak up on people. The killings can begin again!! Not really sure I like the new shoes. I may end up giving them to one of the girls and getting a different pair.

Speaking of doctor, I'm on some new medication and I must say it's working. It seems to be the time of year when most everyone is crabby. Work stress, the heat, and other factors are making people crazy. Even me. Before I'd be snappy and not care. Now I realize what I'm doing and almost care in the few nano seconds I can adjust my reaction. It also helps to know everyone is feeling the same way. What's the word? Empathy? Apathy? Whatever. Does this mean my list day posts will be any different? Probably not.

It smells like rain in here. I really hope not, I left the back car window down. Although in this heat it should be dry but the time we get out there. The other day, I was freezing in here. Today it's a frakkin' sauna. I know, I know, new rope. It did rain and I was right it did dry out by the time we left.

6 comments:

Megan said...

That's crazy about the vitamin D. Aren't there some D-fortified cereals? If it comes from the sun, would one of those lights that they give people with seasonal depression work? I'm the same thing in the sun. I once had a friend come up to me and say that she "pulled a me" because she'd sat next to a window (inside no less) and got a bad sunburn. I hope the medication works for you.

emicat said...

I guess you avoid the sun a little too much eh? But I don't blame ya, if you burn easily - because sunburns aren't fun!

Do you like lattes? Then have a bunch of coffee w/ steamed milk -yum!

It smelled like rain here, but barely drizzled. We really could use a good rain shower though, because it's pretty dry around here.

Carrie Penny said...

I take women's one a day multivitamin, soy milk (I can't drink a glass of plain moo juice it taste funny to me), if you join nutrimirror.com and log your meals it shows you what nutrients you are missing from you day and it has an option to click on the nutrient and the catagorey you would like to eat it from (meat, veggie, cereal, bread, beverage etc) and shows you from highest to lowest what has that nutrient in it...

I hate the sun too, but for some reason I am still getting sunburned, I have a tan line on my thigh from grilling ribs on Saturday (hubby was playing Diablo II in the AC)

Linda said...

I had a severe deficiency of Vitamin D about 2 years ago. I had to take prescription strength Vit D 3 times, and I am now on a regular (daily)supplement. I get lots of sun from yard work and boating and still I am Vit D deficient. Surprisingly, so is DH and he spends almost no time indoors. I don't know if it's something in the water/food that slows absorbtion or what. I suggest eating cheeze and/or yogurt and takig a daily over the counter pill once you are finished with the script.

Lovs2Knit said...

I must have been a vampire in another life because I tend to avoid the sun as much as possible even though I don't really burn. I just hate getting hot....lol.

I hate regular milk but the organic milk we drink is ultra pasteurized so it tastes better. I love yogurt and cheese so I generally eat them daily along with a multi vitamin for women. There are a lot of foods out there that are fortified with vitamin D.

Amy Lane said...

"The killings can begin again!" hee hee hee hee...

I HATE the heat... and I've been dodging my doctor for MONTHS!