Tuesday, February 13

Can I just die? Grilltech says no, I'm just being whiny*. I spent an hour remembering how to beat people up. I only stayed an hour, which is a 100% more then I'd done in months! I figure if I stay an hour the rest of this week and 1.5 next week for the following, then in three weeks I'll be able to stay the whole two hours. So tonight the plan is to spin for a while then do weights**.

Also, let me clarify about pattern knitting. Pattern knitting is a good thing. We all have to start someplace. It's like learning to cook. Step by step following of the recipe is a must. Now? Hmmm, only have 1/4 cup of milk? I can just add water. I like the flavor of garlic, add more than the 1 teaspoon called for. Must add red pepper flakes, because I want the youngest to think it's spicy. It's the idea of "I can't design". The knitter who was asking for the fingerless mitt pattern, wasn't a new knitter. It was someone who spins, dyes, and knits. (Perfect a trifecta.)

Anyway both Amy and Samurai Knitter asked about learning to knit. I remember there were times when Granny would come live with us. She was a big crafter. I learned to embroidery from her and crochet. I used to make doll clothes. Barbie would wear such fashionable clothes as a granny square dress, similar to the TP cover, only more functional. Granny also knitted, but for some reason I never asked to learn, it may have been because didn’t see her doing it. I remember I was thirteen and wanted to learn. So I got a book and started knitting. I did about four or five rows before showing the step-monster, who said, so. I never picked up it again. I think maybe Granny wasn't living with us at that point, my memories are a bit fuzzy***.

About the year 2000, I decided I wanted to knit. Don't remember why, just decided I was going to learn. Picked up a book and was off knitting. For about the first year I made scarves. Long-ass scarves, the youngest can wear it and wrap it around her neck once with room to spare and both sides still reached the floor. (She's 5'11".) I decided I wanted to do more. So I picked socks. I picked up a pattern book and started. Couldn't figure out the pattern, went to the LYS and she said, I had missed a step. She also pointed out "there was something strange about my knitting." My first sock was twisted, because I was knitting though the backloops. Grilltech wore out the first pair of maroon footies I made for him and was pissed when I threw them away because of all the holes.

I signed up for a knitting class. The teacher said, "You know how to knit, you don't belong here." She was right, but I was looking for pattern reading more then "learning to knit." One of the key points of the sock class I teach how to read a pattern, not just the tribal knowledge of making socks. Granted, there some parts of the teaching that isn't written. Anyway I made a teddy bear sweater, because if I can make a small one then the large one isn't that much different. Made Grilltech a sweater, the sleeves are about six to eight inches longer then his hands. Once again, he wears it all the time. Since that point, I take sweaters I like, modify them and call it good. Can I design a sweater? You betcha. I've got one in the design book right now. Don't think I'll ever make it because wool is high maintance****.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* No he's not even remotely saying anything like you're being whiny. Instead he's very considerate and offers to rub my back. And he's ALL MINE!!

** Yes, I am a glutton and not just for punishment.

*** That's like saying, Keith Moon and Steven Tyler used to be drug users.

**** This from the woman who has taken up spinning? Yeah, right.

2 comments:

Lovs2Knit said...

LOL....I really do love reading your blog. I'm starting to deviating here and there in patterns to suit my fancy. I'm sure that I will do that more and more as I get more experienced with my knitting. I love to just jump right in and get my feet wet...the worst that happens is you have to frog it.

Julie said...

Thanks for the info.

The tribal knowledge of sock knitting. Hahah. Yes. That's it exactly.

I've enjoyed all these stories so much, thank you for sharing yours.