Tuesday, August 21st

Yesterday, we're getting ready to leave the parking lot and the car won't start. Crap! I call the insurance company to arrange for a jump start. Call one of my co-workers and he has jumper cables. Car starts! Another call to the insurance company back to cancel the jump. Start driving, make it far enough to block the entrance to the parking lot when the car dies. Crap! (You know, I'm not really saying crap.) Yet another call to the insurance company back to arrange for a tow. Mean while, people are driving up and waiting behind us, like we can go anywhere. There is zero power, it won't shift into neutral unless the break is pushed. Finally Grilltech is able to get the car into neutral (picture more swearing or not) so we can get it pushed onto the street and out of the way.

The tow guy "Mike" shows up, 15 minutes earlier then promised. He was chatty. Annoyingly chatty. Makes-you-want-to-punch-him-in-the-head-repeatedly-with-great-vigor chatty. He had such great gems like "be glad it didn't happen yesterday in the 100 degree heat" and "guess smart people need to have guys like me around" and "I've towed people from there and there and there". (Shoot me now. Please.) The car gets towed across town at 1700 traffic, with a tow driver who like to hug the passing line. At one point we run over a soda can. Grilltech and I start cracking up, Mike throws me a curious look. I tell him, "Sorry about your car.." and in a panic he's telling me it's a soda can. We *knew* it was a soda can, but we drop it. We drop the car off at the mechanic's who just takes the keys, because "we've worked on the car before so we have all the information." Today I'm waiting on a phone call from them to find out what needs to happen. (Please be something simple like the battery needs to be replaced...) The mechanic called, it was the battery. YEH!!

At this point it's now 1730, I'm tired, crabby and hungry. Grilltech walked home to get the pickup because we live a stone's throw away. We decide to have Chinese Buffet at your Table for dinner. They seat us in a semi-dark corner (good) with an annoying, hyper child one booth away (bad). He's shrieking, pounding on the table, and running around the restaurant. The waiter comes back, we tell him we want to be moved to a different location, with more sun light (better). I'm able to see the sock I'm working on. Child is still running around, the mother is saying lovely things as "dude, you can't help them cook" and "sorry". (Never once did she say "sit your butt in the chair and be quite." Too much?) Grilltech pointed out, she wasn't really sorry, because if she was then she would have put a stop to it.

When we get home, I grab the camera to get pictures of the shawl and the battery is dead. Yeah, it was a good day yesterday. I'm hoping today is much better but the day is still young.

On the plus side, I've completed the gusset on Grilltech's sock. Might even get close to finishing it by Friday. It's really nice to have an hour to sit and knit after work. Picture this I've got head phones on, I'm knitting away. People will come up and ask, why isn't the TV on? Hmm because it's broken? Because I really want to be interrupted by people who ask stupid questions. Yeah, I'm so there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a major sucky day!
You have more restraint then me. I'd have told Chatty Mike to shut up.
My kid would have never made it out of the booth to begin with. It's not right to the other customers to inflict them with your kids obnoxiousness.
Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day! At least you only needed a new battery.

Mr. Shife said...

Sometimes people just need to suck it. Glad it was only your battery, and hope the rest of your week gets better.

Carrie Penny said...

Any one of those things would have been enough to put me over the edge... I would love to find a resturant where kids aren't allowed. A tow truck driver that just does their job... I most likely would have bitten someone's head off and felt bad about it the next day...

Amy Lane said...

I love people like Mike--here you are having a crapfest of a day, and they want to tell you how they're making the world a better place. Of course, he was probably just being nice, but sometimes, you just don't want to make eye contact.