Tuesday, November 9th

About 1930 last night, Grilltech had given up on getting mail to work. He was frustrated and crabby. He sat down at the laptop, only to realize, he had mail. He was really happy and relieved. I don't have mail yet. :(

I found a sock meme from Molecular Knitting.

1. What’s your favorite sock yarn? (please note that the word ‘yarn’ is singular. Just pick one. I know it’s hard.) My favorite sock yarn is Lorna's Laces. I've only knitted 1 pair of socks and started a second pair, but I love it!

2. What’s your favorite type and brand of sock needle? I prefer wood needles. Bamboo and I've picked up a pair of ebony ones. There are some lovely rosewood ones I would like to get as well. Clover is the leader of bamboo DPNS.

3. Do you knit your socks toe up, cuff down, or sideways? I knit my socks top down. I've tried the toe up method, but the instep was way to tight.

4. Do you knit both socks at once or just one at a time? I use DPNS, so it's one at a time. I also have a pair of socks on the needles doing the Magic Loop method. I'm sure I knit the same amount of time, but it seems to take forever when I'm working on two of them. Which is odd, because I have no problem knitting two sleeves at the same time.

5. What’s your favorite toe and why? I like the wedge toe. I've tried the star toe, but it's too round. I use four stitches between the decreases, instead of two. More room.

6. Favorite heel? I use a Dutch Heel, which is not to be confused with Dutch Cowboys.

7. Do you prefer plain or patterned socks? Plain socks are fast and easy. Patterns keep one from falling asleep. I'm starting to put more patterns in my projects.

8. Who do you knit the most socks for? I knit socks for Grilltech and myself. My father gets a pair for Christmas every year as well.

9. Do you darn your socks? If not, what do you do with them? Heck yea, I darn my own socks. Those things are $$ and I want all the use out of them I can get. (Grilltech before you say what about my Bio-hazard ones? Those are cotton and you have talons for toe nails... Need I say more?!)

10. Do you only wear handknit socks? I'm getting pretty close to being able to only wear hand knit socks. Grilltech used to be able to wear a set every day, but he's worn down two pairs and lost a sock. Yes, L-O-S-T.

Bonus question: What pattern, if any, is your basic “I-just-need-a-pair-of-socks” sock pattern based on? Do you keep it written down or memorized? When I started knitting I had to follow the pattern, which lasted about three pairs. Now I write down the generic stuff. (CO 72, ( K2 , P2) for 20 rows. 7" total. 20 slips, 8 per side, 20 left.) If there is a pattern, I'll write it down for reference, because those can be tricky.

4 comments:

GrillTech said...

As of 5:30 pm tuesday night all mail was working again. I refuse to accept the blame for the lost sock. I say the dryer ate it. Hmmm maybe I can take apart the dryer like the server and find it.

Lynne said...

Re the lost sock:
1. Arm yourself with a bright flashlight.
2. Get prone on the floor where you usually undress.
3. Look UNDER all furniture in a 6-foot radius of that spot.
4. If this is not productive, expand the radius.
5. Eventually this will uncover the missing sock.
6. If there is a cat involved, all bets are off.

Amy Lane said...

Great meme--I may snag it for myself!

Heather said...

I bet peaches stole the sock... that is it Grill blame peaches, or maybe one of the others took it outside...