Wards


DB woke about his normal time of 1000. Instead of heading out to the plaza to do some busking, he went to BC's place. There was more room for him to work there. He altered his features and drove over.

The workroom was large; he put the coin in the middle of the room. An hour and a half it took him part way to finishing his ward. He was careful to get the sigils just right. At some point, he realized Lilith – his mentor – was leaning against the wall watching him.

“What do you think of Bunny? Can I trust her?” BC asked.

“I wouldn’t.” She seemed bored.

“Do you think the coin and Bunny are evil?” He asked trying to get more insight.

“I don’t think they’re evil, just used for bad intentions.” She didn’t point out he was asking the wrong question. Lilith would leave him to figure that out on his own. Sometimes fate was a harsh teacher.

Once he finished the ward, she looked it over. “I’d add a time element.”

Lilith drew a sigil he’d never seen before. It hung in the air while he copied it.

“Should I just sell this coin?”

Lilith smiled, her delicate fangs showing. “Think of all the things you could do it with. Think of power. Think of the danger.” She never did give him a solid answer.

Another hour and he the wards were completed. The sigils glowed with magic. His magic.

“Are you sure you should be doing this?” Lilith asked. “It’s dangerous, messing with time.” She stopped.

“I need to know.” He said.

“How many times have you done this?”

“Once.” He paused. “I think. I don’t know I’ve been getting some strange things.”

Lilith shook her head, but said nothing.

He stepped over the chalked sigils, careful not to disturb them. His world changed.

He was at the party meeting the Countess again. Time was flowing slowly. He felt a hand on his shoulder and a voice whispering in his ear. “She’s judging you. She doesn’t think much of you. You barely have a high school education. I can make you amazing negotiator. All you have to do is grab the coin.”

BC’s hand started sliding towards the coin, but he didn’t touch it. Shaking his head, he stepped out scuffing the ward.

“How long was I gone?” BC asked.

Lilith shrugged. “Not long at all, less than a minute.”

“How can I thank you for the help?” BC said with a sly smile.

She reached out and ran her hand over his chest. “I’m sure you’ll figure something out.”

An hour later, BC broke the ward down completely. He altered his features, and left to go back to DB’s house. Sometimes it was a pain in the ass to maintain two houses. However, the benefits made it worth it.

DB checked the time. He had about five hours before his dinner. Checking his email, he found an attachment from BC. A floor plan for a hotel. Odd, he didn’t remember sending it.

Two hours later, he got a text from Miz Johnson. “I’ve got the hotel security. I’m ready when you are.”

What was going on?

No comments: